Sunday, October 23, 2016

A Chance to Heal

     I would like to sit here as I write this and tell you that poetry is always full of butterflies and the laughter of babies. But, poetry is in essence, life. We all know that life is not always filled with laughter and smiles, there is more than enough times that are dark, filled with sadness and pain.
     This is where the true beauty of poetry, whether written or read, it reveals its amazing ability to begin the healing process.  For me, I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt that poetry was the unexpected avenue that I stumbled upon while dealing with some of my life's most painful moments. I was able to sit down in front of my computer and allow all the emotions and pain to run down from my mind and heart and settle on the screen that sat before me. Being able to read your raw, powerful emotions as they appear on the computer screen was, is a powerful healing tool. Being able to read my thoughts and feelings made breaking down the words so much easier. Chasing the words around inside my head was all but impossible. It only added to the stress and strain that I was already dealing with.
     The vast majority of my earlier poems were all about sadness, loneliness, and pain. Eventually, I was able to get back to a place in my life that had happiness and joy in it. It was then that I began to write poems that were far more cheerful. The poem that I have attached for you all today, is one of my personal favorites. You can see the progression throughout the poem of my growth if you will.
     One of the most important lessons that I have learned throughout the years when it comes to poetry is whether it is a saddened time, or a joyous time, this is the time to write! Happiness should be exalted to the masses, pain and sadness is your personal healing tool. I write for myself, and if I feel led to share  a poem of mine, I shall. Write for yourself, follow your heart and you will be fine.

My Soul Speaks
I was in a dark place, a prisoner of solitude.
Alone on an island of confusion and doubt.
Lost for years, living in exile.
Awakened after years of slumber
Drawing new breath, beginning a new journey
I am stronger now, I know who I am
Reaching for new horizons, grabbing hold of newfound dreams
From the ashes of a broken life, I rise to a new world
Now my tears fall not out of sorrow, but out of thankfulness
Life’s colors are bright and vivid, bursting with the promise of a new tomorrow
Guiding the lost and the rejected to a place of rebirth
Centered, focused, and hungry for life
I accept what has happened and realize that life is not always fair
My heart smiles, bursting with anticipation
Open to the thought, the dream of falling yet again.


      Darin S. Boggs

No comments:

Post a Comment